Frequently Asked Questions
WHAT ARE NYC P-TECH SCHOOLS?
An innovative six-year high school program that prepares students for college and their future career in a competitive industry. Each one of the seven NYC P-TECH schools is affiliated with:
- A CUNY Community College that offers courses towards an Associate Degree—at no cost to you.
- An industry partner to help students explore careers and the skills needed to work in its field.
Our high schools are open to all students and are designed to go from Grade 9 into Grade 14 so that students can graduate with a high school diploma, earn college credits toward an Associate degree, and gain work experience.
WHY SHOULD YOUR CHILD CHOOSE NYC P-TECH SCHOOLS?
Each of our schools offers students the opportunity to:
- Get early access to college courses while in high school
- Earn a tuition-free college degree while in high school
- Professional career experiences
- Dedicated and talented staff who are focused on students’ academic, personal, and professional success
HOW CAN I LEARN MORE ABOUT NYC P-TECH SCHOOLS?
The best way to learn about the culture of each school is to visit an admissions event at one of our schools. While no two schools are the same, there are core elements that you will find across all of our NYC P-TECH Schools:
- College Partner
- Industry Partners
- Career Exploration
WHAT DO STUDENTS STUDY AT A NYC P-TECH SCHOOL?
Similar to other high schools, NYC P-TECH 9-14 students take all the core subject courses required for a New York State Regents diploma. In addition, from the time students enter ninth grade, both college and career preparation are integral parts of their lives at a NYC P-TECH school. Students may have the chance to experience:
- Taking college classes as early as 10th grade
- Job shadowing with one of our Industry Partners
- Career Panels, internships, and work experiences
WHEN DO STUDENTS START TAKING COLLEGE CLASSES?
Students can take their first college course as early as 10th grade! Each high school and its CUNY community college partner have guidelines for how students become eligible to take their first college class. Professionals at the high school and the college provide supports to students to help them prepare for and be successful in their college coursework!
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF ATTENDING A NYC P-TECH 9-14 SCHOOL?
A significant benefit is the opportunity to earn college credit at no cost to the student or family. The early college credits students earn can usually be transferred to fulfill some of the requirements of other majors, particularly at other colleges within the CUNY system.
Some of the other benefits include:
- Mentoring Experiences
- Career Exploration and Exposure
- Internship or Work-based Learning Experiences
No matter what field a student pursues after high school, the work based learning and internships are valuable experiences that help build the student’s resume.
IS THERE ANY COST TO THE FAMILY FOR STUDENTS TO TAKE COLLEGE CLASSES?
There is no cost to the family as long as the student remains enrolled at his or her NYC P-TECH school. The student’s college tuition, textbooks, and instructional materials are covered through a special agreement between the New York City Department of Education and CUNY.